Case Study: Lean Design - Product Development Process
Conducted an analysis of OEM’s current state Product Development processes, developed 7 improvement initiatives and business case
Situation and Objective
A large automotive Tier 1 supplier was looking for assistance in improving the efficiency and effectiveness of their New Product Introduction (NPI) processes and enhancing their ability to manage complex projects. The team was engaged to drive the identification & prioritization of improvement opportunities and then guide the organization in developing the detailed content for each improvement initiative.
- The team designed and executed a series of cross functional process mapping workshops to document the current state situation, identify high priority issues, and outline future state product development processes.
- After the initial opportunity identification activity was complete, the team developed detailed processes, templates, and tools necessary to achieve the future state vision. For example:
- A re-defined Project Manager role designed to drive action and improve accountability
- Business Unit specific Master Schedule Templates and best practices
- Standardized NPI tracking metrics designed to monitor project health and facilitate timely go/no-go decision making
Results and benefits
In just a few short months, the team was able to quantify the efficiency benefits, gain approval from the Board of Directors, and execute the seven detailed planning initiatives required to achieve the future state vision. Once fully implemented, the client anticipates 4-6% improvement in product development efficiency as well as significant lead time reductions.